COVID-19 has a big impact on our daily lives and has changed the landscape of the medical and pharmaceutical industries. The demand for personal protective equipment (PPE) and ventilators increased dramatically, in turn significantly stretching production capacity. Companies from different industries began changing production to these critical products.
In the pharmaceutical field the search for therapeutic agents, especially the development of an effective vaccine, was accelerated to levels never seen before. The WHO has cataloged 169 projects (as of: 25.08.2020), as COVID-19 candidate vaccines. (Source: https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/draft-landscape-of-covid-19-candidate-vaccines)
Despite the tremendous time pressure, we cannot forget that these are medical products and personal protective equipment, and should not put patients at risk and must provide proper protection for personnel. Therefore a number of regulations have to be observed. Comprehensive mechanical tests are required for PPE products, as well as on primary packaging for potential vaccines.
ZwickRoell offers a wide range of testing solutions to test COVID-19 related products.
- Tesing of syringes to ISO 11040 and ISO 7886-1
- Testing of the residual seal force on medicine vials
- Testing of medical exam gloves to ASTM D412 and ISO 37
- Testing of surgical textiles to EN 13795 and EN 14863
- Testing of medical non-wovens to EN ISO 29073-3 / ISO 9073 and ASTM D 5035
- Testing of protective masks / N95 mask to ASTM D5035 / ISO 16900 and other test standards