Test Tools for Paper and Cardboard
We have developed special test tools for many important standards in the paper and cardboard industry. Here you can find a small selection for: compression/compression crush tests, determination of the bursting strength, puncture tests, flexure tests, friction tests, etc.
Ring crush test device (RCT)
- Applications: Tests to DIN 53134 (withdrawn), ISO 12192, and TAPPI T 822
- Function description: The ring crush test device (RCT) consists of a base plate (bottom part) and nine discs (upper part). The base plate has a tangential insertion slot.
The specimen is pushed into the free gap between the ring of the base plate and the inserted disc.
Compression test fixture (FCT, ECT)
- Determination of flat crush resistance (FCT) of single-faced and single-wall corrugated board to ISO 3035, EN 23035, and TAPPI T 825
- Determination of edge crush resistance (ECT) of corrugated board to DIN EN ISO 3037 and TAPPI T 811
- Determination of flat crush resistance of corrugated board via CMT test to DIN EN ISO 7263 and TAPPI T 809
- Determination of ring crush resistance (RCT) of paper and board to DIN 53134 (withdrawn), ISO 12192 and TAPPI T 822 (requires ring crush test device, Item No. 316243)
- The compression test kit consists of a lower and an upper compression platen with guide blocks. The test material is placed between these compression platens and compressed by the compression platens.
Determination of the bursting strength
- Testing paper to ISO 2758 (Item No. 057817)
- Determination of bursting strength of solid and corrugated board and the papers used for them for tests to DIN 53141 Part 1 and ISO 2759 (Item No. 057819)
- The hydraulic actuator is used to generate pressure. It is mounted in the testing system. The volume flow can be steplessly adjusted by changing the crosshead speed. The hydraulic actuator is connected to the burst device via a high pressure hose. Pressure is measured electronically using a strain gauge sensor.
- A pneumatic actuator is integrated in the burst device. It is used to clamp the specimen between the compression platen and the pressure chamber. The moving crosshead presses against the hydraulic actuator during the test, whereby a volume of liquid is pressed into the pressure chamber. The resulting, increasing pressure causes the rubber membrane to arch. The rubber membrane then presses against the specimen until it breaks.
- Testing to DIN 53142-2
- The puncture fixture is used to determine the resistance that a gripped specimen presents when penetrating a puncture body.
- Clamping via spring force (see below) according to specimen thickness.
- Force measurement by means of interchangeable load cell.
Ball puncture test device for tissue products
- Tests to EN ISO 12625-9
- The ball puncture test device is used to determine the resistance that a gripped specimen presents when penetrating a puncture body.
- Clamping by means of spring force is fast and avoids operator error.
- The force-deformation behavior is shown as a curve, providing information regarding the ductility of tissue products.
- Simple assembly and wide measurement range allow tests to be performed on wet materials also.
- The surface consists of a Vulkolan coating.
Test fixture for Z-direction tensile test on paper
Determine the processability of paper via the internal bond test (z-direction tensile test). In this test to TAPPI T 541 or ISO 15754, the internal fiber bond strength of paper or multi-ply paperboard is determined. We ensure absolute parallelism and transverse stiffness in the fixture, enabling reliable test results in accordance with the standard.
- Determination of inter-fiber bond strength of paper in the sheet plane.
- Determination of ply adhesion in the sheet plane of paper or paper-like laminates.
- Tensile tests at the sheet level allow for the determination of the fiber composite behavior of paper, and the adhesion between layers of multi-layer materials. The test device complies with TAPPI T541 om-99. Tensile tests at the sheet level require a high level of parallelism of the compression platens and secure fastening of the specimen on the specimen carrier. Both criteria are met with the test device for Z-tensile tests. Traverse-bracing and precision-controlled frames allow for a high parallelism of the compression platens. Precision roller guidance for the specimen carriers prevents the need to make adjustments and eliminates excess. The testing fixture allows for the application of a strip of about 150 mm in length for a single operation. Then, when specimen carriers and adhesive tape carriers are pushed in a crisscross movement, five specimens can be tested without having to perform additional specimen preparations.
- In order to carry out a tensile test at the sheet level, a specimen is taped with an area of 1" x 1" (25.4 mm x 25.4 mm) between two specimen carriers. Double-sided tape is used. During the test, the specimen and the tape are pressed together and then separated. For this reason, the adhesive strength of the tape must be considerably more than the force required to separate the fiber composite. The primary measurements are the maximum force and the separation energy at maximum force.
- Specimen carriers arranged at 90° to each other enable five individual specimens to be tested in succession with a single application.
- A leveling element plus high transverse stiffness of the fixture guarantee precise, repeatable test results.
- Through easy, convenient handling the test practically runs itself.
- Test five individual specimens in succession with a single application
- Pressing on specimen plus tensile test, in one operation.
- Optional specimen preparation station makes specimen preparation child's play.
Do you have any questions regarding our products?
Please feel free to contact our product experts.
We look forward to discussing your needs.
- Product information: Test device for determining the short span compression strength PDF 185 KB
- Product information: Fixture for determining the burst strength PDF 2 MB
- Product information: Ball puncture test device for tissue products PDF 491 KB
- Product information: Test fixture for Z-direction tensile test on paper PDF 483 KB
- Product information: 2-point flexure test kits PDF 518 KB
- Product information: 4-point flexure test kit for testing single wall and multi-wall corrugated cardboard PDF 1 MB