The ZHN/SEM nanoindenter for installation in a scanning electron microscope (SEM) enables micromechanical experiments to be performed while observing the specimen at maximum resolution. It possesses the largest measuring range currently available, with a maximum displacement measurement of 200 µm and a maximum force of 200 mN, combined with very low-noise force and displacement sensors in a low-vibration environment. Instrument stiffness is so high that conventional hardness measurements can be performed without difficulty.
The standard system was developed for installation on the stage system of various SEMs, but can also be mounted on the chamber wall. The existing tilt and positioning options of the SEM stage can be used with this system.
The system consists of:
- the measuring head with sensors and actuator
- a piezo stage system for positioning specimens in the XY direction and optional rotation around the indenter axis
- a stiff mechanical Z-stage for displacement of the measuring head towards the specimen
- PC and controller
- easy-to-use, highly flexible software
- one or two flanges with feed-throughs (SEM-specific)
- Indenter can be tailored to customer requirements over a wide range.
- Force and displacement control available as closed or open loop.
- Dynamic measurement method with frequencies up to 100 Hz for fatigue and continuous stiffness measurements available as option.
- An outstanding feature of the measuring head is that it can be used in the compression and tensile directions over the entire measuring range.
- Video synchronization: the recorded image can be shown by transferring data to an additional window on the SEM computer via TCP/IP.
|Test load, max. (Fmax)||approx. 200||mN1|
|Displacement, max.||approx. 200 µm at 20 mN; 1500 µm at 200 mN|
|Force resolution, digital||≤0.02||μN|
|Displacement resolution, digital||≤0.001||nm|
|Noise level, force measurement (RMS)||≤0.5||μN|
|Noise level, displacement measurement (RMS)||≤0.5||nm|
|X and Y-stage: movement range (standard)||21 x12||mm|
|X and Y-stage: positioning accuracy||≤50||nm|
|X and Y-stage: measurement system resolution||1||nm|
|Z-stage: movement range||15 (optionally 25)||mm|
|Z-stage: positioning accuracy||≤0.1||μm|
|Z-stage: measurement system resolution||50||nm|
- Compression and tensile